Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Girlfriends and Friendship: What does it really mean?

What does the word friendship mean to you? I often think about my friends and say “WOW”, I have really got some great people in my life and I am very thankful! My friends are loving, forgiving, hard-working, generous, kind, respectful and fun. The thing about me and my friends is that I know them and they know me, good or bad we are in this together and we are life-long friends. I accept them for who they are, I respect their decisions and life choices, I don’t expect them to have the same views as me or like the same things as I do, I accept their flaws as well as they accept mine. I don’t expect them to be perfect because I’m far from that… but I do expect loyalty, love and respect.

What type of friend are you? The answer to this question I think will define the type of men and women you have in your circle, being a friend means more than what you are getting out of the relationship, what are you putting into it. I would like to think that my friends see me as loyal, straight-shooting, fun, someone who listens as well as gives my input. I would like to think that they see my love for them as pure and not someone who is looking for an edge. I will support my friends, uplift them and make sure they hear all that they need to hear. I won’t tell you what you want to hear but hopefully I can make it better for them to hear. I’ll be there for my friends when they need to go out and shake a leg or to kneel down and pray! That’s me I’m there. I’m the type of friend that will hold you down, I’m not jealous, or boisterous, I don’t try to make my friends feel bad because I live a certain lifestyle and they do not. I won’t be the type of friend that will see your man out with someone and turn my head as though I never saw a thing, I will walk up to him and say hello with my phone in my hand and smile at the bastard as he shakes his head because he knows I’m about to call you. I won’t turn a blind eye when I see you hurting as you try and try to make this man see how wonderful of a person you are and no matter what you try he does not notice. I’ll tell you how special you are, how crazy you look and that you need to readjust your tactics.


Girlfriends talk and basically tell each other everything, this such a natural phenomenon that it's never second guessed. I appreciate a great dialogue between friends or even a hot debate, it gets the juices boiling and the mind stimulated. I have great friends, we all come with flaws and I would like to think that we are all accepting or at least tolerable when it comes to these flaws, we are of course friends. I writing this particular blog because I'm on a fact finding mission! If we are friends what is it that you feel you can't say to me? What is your intent or purpose? Being a friend isn't all about the parties, drinks and fun, it's also about the hurt, the bad decisions, getting scolded because we know we were dead wrong, it's about helping her hold her head even after the man she loves has tried to rob her of her dignity and self-worth. With all friendships comes lessons, we as people were not made perfect so how do we expect there to be perfect relationships, whether it's your girlfriend of 20 years or man of 2 years. When I consider myself in a friendship with a person, to me it's sort of like adoption, we don't have the same blood but I love you regardless. If you are my friend I am not malicious with you but I am very direct, I am loyal and will defend you to the end. It might be a different story when you and I are alone and can talk about what happen because if you were wrong, you need to acknowledge it, fix it and move on...that's growth. I'm not too proud to admit when I'm wrong. Will I feel a certain way because you bring it to my attention, maybe...that's natural but I consider myself mature enough to say OK, I was wrong and face it because I don't know everything...I'm a forever student of this world and life lessons as we all should be..
A friend is someone who will reel me in when I've gone too far out and I don't realize it. A friend will tell me, girl we gonna work it out, don't stress yourself. A friend will tell me when I'm being selfish, foolish, crazy or just out of control. A friend will not placate things by telling me that the bullshit that I have been doing is OK and they see that it's hurting me, what kind of friend is that. I don't need people in my life to tell me the things I want to hear all the time doing me a disservice, please if you are my friend you tell me what I NEED to hear because often times I might not be aware of those things.
As a friend am I responsible for your actions while you are under the influence? No not entirely responsible but because I know you are not functioning as you would otherwise, I'm gonna have your back, if this means me telling you certain things about yourself then so be it. What is it about the truth that hurts you so much? If it's the truth, take it in...maybe not right then but later, think about it, deal with it and move on. As a friend I'm not there to embarrass or hurt you, as a friend I'm there to make sure you are good!
Friends complement one another, where I am weak, you are strong and vice-versa. Where my words maybe come off a little rough, I have friends to say to me, Uh- don't say it like that...try this. Where they may need a little push to do something, I'm right there. If you now me then you know I'm always loyal, always truthful and always trying to help. I'm stubborn, spoiled and I have my crazy ways, I may talk too much, drink too much, curse you out but I never let it get in the way of friendship. We may not agree on everything and that's OK we aren't suppose too...I don't like negative Nancy's in my circle. I don't want naysayers around me. I don't want people who are jealous or envious of those that love them and can't see the truth because the are scared to face it. At the age that I am now, there are certain things that I won't allow around me.
If you want someone that will tell you what you wanna hear by all means find that person...you just won't find her here.

With that being said: to all my friends thank you for allowing me to be me and loving me in spite of myself.
Peace..

Feel free to disagree or agree, voice your concern or comments...just Get In & Stay In!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment